Relationship Building

Relationship Building

Topic 3: Relationship Building

Watch the following clip from Libraries and Autism: We Are Connected (5 min) to learn about building relationships.

Click here for complete script to video.

Now that you have learned about some proactive steps toward relationship building in your library, check your answer in the opening activity. How did your ideas compare to the suggestions made in the video? Also, jot down some new ideas about how to intervene in Scenario 1.

2. This scenario comes from a librarian seeking advice on how to handle the following situation:

I am e-mailing you in regards to a child patron of ours that we recently had an issue with. My coworker is not sure how to handle the situation and wants to be sensitive to the child's needs and his parent's needs. In a program last week, a child who is on the spectrum was in a program that one of my coworkers was running. His mother explained to my coworker beforehand that her child might have some problems participating in group activity and may become agitated. My coworker, before the program, made sure to let the parent know every step of the program of what they would be doing, as to hopefully alleviate some stress for the child. During the program, the child did become a bit agitated and ended up shoving another boy, which caused the mother to promptly take her son and leave midway the program.

Is there a gentle/understanding way that my coworker can address this situation? She wants to ask the parent if there is anything she (my coworker) can do to better help her son, while also letting her know that he can't be physical with other patrons.

What advice would you give this librarian, and what could the library staff do in the future to prevent a similar problem from occurring? Jot your ideas down in your journal.

Now, here is the advice that was given to her by autism experts. How does your advice compare?

Provide adaptations or modifications so the child can successfully participate in the program:

• Invite the parent to participate as an aide to the child to provide the child with more assistance in participating in the program.
  • Explain what to expect in the program to the child and not just the caregiver. Use a visual schedule as well as a verbal explanation.
  • Allow the child to complete a group activity on his own.
  • Give the child lots of space separating him from the group if he needs it.
  • Have a visual representation of the behavior expectations and refer to them at the beginning.

Let the all participants in the program know that it's okay for anyone to leave the program if they need to at any time. Provide a safe space where people can go and "reset".

Ask the family what the best techniques are to use with the child when he becomes agitated.

Follow up with the family after the program in person or by phone, and encourage them to visit the library and the program again. Do not tell the parent that the child shouldn't hurt others; the parent already knows that.