Self Advocacy by Employees with ASD

Self Advocacy by Employees with ASD

Topic 6: Self Advocacy by Employees with ASD

Employees with ASD have many decisions to make when entering the workforce. What can you do to advocate for yourself in the workplace? The following advice comes from Asperger's on the Job:

• It is entirely up to you whether to disclose your AS or not.

• One belief is that if you are doing well in your job, and you tell others you have AS, then you are advancing the cause and reputation of people affected by ASDs.

• If you are having trouble in your working life, then disclosure might be a way to get some understanding and accommodation.

• If and when you do disclose, do not do so "unarmed". Take your favorite short description of AS with you and give it to the person you are disclosing to, unless you are very good at describing it verbally. Others give a web address that contains a description they like. Urge whoever you are disclosing to, to read as much about Asperger's as he or she can and recommend some positive books or websites.

• Ask for environmental accommodations such as a quiet place to work, more autonomy, modified lighting, the ability to work from home or extra fresh air breaks (flexible scheduling), or permission to skip the office party if these types of changes would help you be more productive and successful with your work. Keep copies of your work and accomplishments. Portfolios of your work are helpful when discussing your needs, concerns, or any concerns that your employer may have.

Temple Grandin shares the following about requesting accommodations in the Forward to Asperger's on the Job (2010):

"I chose not disclose to clients that I had autism, but I did request certain accommodations that made it easier...to do my job. To avoid errors and miscommunication, I always asked for very explicit instructions...be sure to ask your supervisors and/or clients to tell you exactly what they want. I also had problems remembering long strings of verbal instructions. I had to take notes at project meetings...get clear instructions in writing so you have something concrete to refer to over the course of your project."

When one's working environment is conducive to productivity, employees on the spectrum are likely to impress their employers with their diligence and focus.

Librarians can refer patrons and potential employers to the resource section on Project Enable's website or the section of your library that houses resources for ASD. Advocacy for those with ASD creates education and opportunity for all.

Erin Miller is an individual with autism and has two jobs. At the 2018 Targeting Autism Forum in Illinois she explained how even though it may take her longer to do some tasks compared to others it doesn't mean she's broken or incapable. Watch this video to hear Erin's own words.